My children love Papa John's Pizza. In State College they had this fabulous special in which one could purchase a one topping, large pizza for the very low price of $5.99. This was great for those nights when we had soccer, dance, and other activities that had our little red car running all over town. It was during this time that I added Papa Johns to my speed dial. It made it easy to phone in an order while I was driving, refereeing backseat fights and trying to get the next place on time, or for those that know me, with minimal tardiness. This is why they invented speed dial.
Upon moving to Boone, I updated all numbers in my phone, and even updated, or so I thought, the Papa Johns number.
About three weeks ago, I called the local Papa John's and asked if they had a similar special. They were obliging and so I ordered my standard two one topping large pizzas. It had been one of those days, (why else would I be ordering pizza?), so Benji took the kids to go and pick up the order. Moments later he phoned from the pizza place and there was apparently some trouble. They didn't have our name on record, but because Benji was there, in the rain, with three kids, they gave him two pizzas of similar description at the aforementioned price. We chalked it up to human error, (theirs), and enjoyed our dinner without another thought; -that is, until last night.
Last night Benji was working late and Sage had gymnastics so I decided to phone in my Papa John's fix. Upon completing the routine phone call, the cashier asked for my home number (standard procedure), and when I told him he said: "Did you say 828?"
I immediately became apologetic thinking that I had my own area code wrong. I said: "Oh, no. Is it 282?"
"The area code at this Papa John's is 814."
Realizing that I still had the State College number in my phone I said, "I must have it wrong in my speed dial."
The cashier's final words repeatedly ran through my head for the next hour, "You have Papa John's in your speed dial?"
I am so cool. Not only have I been calling in orders to the wrong pizza place for the past month. I, clearly am so needy for cheap pizza that I put said number in my phone in the first place. So come on, help me out: What is the lamest number you have on your speed dial? Keep it appropriate; this is a family website:)
The Ballad of Papa John's
Posted by Unknown at 8:27 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
first and foremost, let me say that some people who think it is lame to have a pizza place set as speed dial probably don't need it there because they have the number memorized. I just scanned through my contacts and found Olive Garden, although I'm not sure why it's there because I haven't been there in at least a year. Also there: Chinese and Indian takeout numbers. But sorry, no pizza, because I have the flyer right by my phone book. And as for calling the wrong pizza place, that's just hilarious!
Kendra, the funniest thing about this posting is that I also have Papa Johns on my speed dial. I get a sweet discount for being a teacher. One Large one topping and an order of Parmesan bread sticks for 12 bones. The pizza by itself is as you stated, $5.99.
Kendra, I love this post. I too bear the shame of having Papa John's on my speed dial. And pizza hut. Yep -Justin and I are a mixed family.
Wish you were here to share pizza with.
Lori -me too! The OG, and Chinese. I love that we have that in common.
Hey Kendra! This is from your Dad's cousin Wendy...Ernie's daughter...we just saw your folks at the reunion on Sat...sure missed ya'll by the way...and your Mom was telling us about your move to Boone. Our daughter Michelle (Sis Moosman) is serving in Winston-Salem right now. She's in the Charlotte mission. She loves the area & the people...& it sounds like you're settling in, too. Love your blog! I got here through Sharen's. Our kids are Bloggers, too. Andy is Moosmanfam, and you can get to Amy & Heather's from there. Love to hear from you...swmoose@msn.com. Love ya!
That is funniest thing I have ever heard!!! You are so great!! Oh, you still make me laugh smiles away! Love you guys tons!
Funny, funny, Kendra! Now I know why I missed you so much when you left home! Mom
I not only have Papa John's (south Atherton st), but Papa John's (NORTH ATHERTON STREET)!!!
I"m telling you, Kendra, you've got a long, LONG way to go before you're as lame as I.
:-)
PS--Since I've outed myself as lame, why don't we do it this way: you keep calling PJ's in State College. Then call me. When they figure you're not coming, I'll swoop in and pick up the unclaimed pizzas at a sweet discount... Eh?
Post a Comment