Going Off the Mountain


Howdy Pardner!


Our town has many great offerings: there are great parks, beautiful green-ways, and many ways to recreate and enjoy ourselves as a family. With all of this enjoyment, however, we have found that there is one area in which they are lacking-- Retail. That is right; There is no Sam's Club, no Target, no Gap. Those who know me are aware that I am not wild about shopping, but even I admit that there are conveniences which become hard to live without once we have become accustomed to having them close by. So it is in light of these present circumstances that I have come to grips with the fact that I have a fetish for buying laundry detergent, dish washing soap, dryer sheets, etc., in bulk quantities. I don't even have to stop there. I like the big bags of chocolate chips as well. I never thought I'd be living a life without dino-nuggets, multi pack toilet-paper, enormous bags of apples and over sized cartons of raspberries. I am addicted to warehouse club shopping.
With this in mind, on Saturday we loaded up the kids to head 'off the mountain' as they say here, heading down to town to stock up. I told the kids before leaving that we were going into town, like in pioneer times, because we needed to get the items we would need for the next month or two. (Like Dino-Nuggets!) Sage and Gabe thought this was a fun idea, so they tried to dress up as cowboys in preparation for our trip to town. Although not really on board with the 'Little House on the Prairie' mentality, Benji was able to take a break and join us. (He is so good to go along with his deranged wife.) Maggie couldn't find a cowboy hat, or pistols, so she just wore her sun glasses and brought along her 'Woody' doll from Toy Story. With these preparations and an extensive list in hand, we headed down into a town called Hickory to buy our provisions.

I won't expound on the mundane details of the shopping, but only say that if there was anything left in the store after we were finished it was not because we didn't look it over. After our trip to Sam's we decided to get some grub. We just happened to have a certificate to the Texas Roadhouse, and with everyone outfitted as they were, we opted to go there. Maggie picked some country tunes on the jukebox. Sage and I had ribs. Gabe fired his pistols until I made him put them away. I am unsure whether or not Benji will agree to be seen in public with us again. We sure had fun off the mountain and can't wait for next time.




Draw!



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sandy N said...

How fun!

RP said...

What a fun day! I love how your kids get into everything they do!

miss kitti said...

Kendra, I love these pictures. What a great time.