Mags and Me
First, a small disclaimer: I understand that there are many out there who do not like the holiday and I get where they are coming from. I sometimes wish it was not on a Sunday as I know that this causes many to dread coming to church on this day, and let's face it, nobody needs that. An extra reason, I mean.
As for myself, I love Mother's day. Even before I had my own children, I love the idea of taking a day to celebrate the woman who gave you life and the woman that raised you. My mom is AWESOME!! Along with my Grandma Wallace, she is a person who constantly amazes me with all that she does. While we haven't always been the closest of friends I have always known that I can look to her as an example of all that is good, and right, and strong, even when what she is doing is driving me crazy. (She is my mother after all.)
And now I am a mother. And I realize that this is no walk in the park, or poem, or sappy song that may make you a little emotional when you hear it on the radio while shuttling from one place to the next because you are clearly exhausted. This is a life that I am carving out here. My whole life. And while there are other things that I love and other passions to persue, at the end of the day(I mean this literally, not as a trite, over used phrase), I am always thinking of being a mother: Did I do right by kids today and how can I do better? Are they getting what they need to become the people God wants them to become and am I doing my part in that? And if not, what do I need to change? (Because, frankly, we ALL need to change something.)
All of this leads me back to loving Mother's Day. It is a great day for me to remember the mothers who came before and to celebrate the journey I have made as a mother. After these years of reading and working and sweating and praying, and application, I am inching slightly, ever so slightly forward. And that is not backward. Which, with my track record is truly something to celebrate.
My Mom and Me
2 comments:
Celebrate on!! You're an awesome mother; one to emulate. No lie, I have been known to think to myself, "Well, Kendra would just be out playing WITH her kids, not just staying inside doing dishes. I should get out there."
Hope you're well.
Hi Kendra,
I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing? We just moved to Utah. Peter's doing a post-doc here. What's your e-mail address? Mine is tropicanadaystar@yahoo.com I look forward to catching up!
:()Rachel Brown
Post a Comment