Gabe on Guitar

Gabe has been asking for a guitar for the past two years. Because he is a bit young and because guitars can be kind of expensive, we have been putting him off for most of that time, thinking that the phase would pass. Silly parents, what do we know?

Gabe kept pushing and was finally rewarded this past Christmas with a guitar from the local music shop. After searching around for a teacher, he started lessons in January, and even with many missed lessons due to illness and travel, he is coming right along.

He came home a few weeks before school ended and told me he was going to perform for the end of the year talent show. As I have mentioned before, I am a little hesitant when it comes to talent shows, mostly based on personal experience. And Gabe is only six, which seems so little to be playing guitar in front of a big group. I really could see a million different ways that this could go south.

On the day of the talent show, I dropped off Gabe with his guitar and then went to take Sage to her class so that I could take a photo of her teacher. (End of the year odds and ends.) When I got back to Gabe's class, he had his guitar out and the whole class was gathered around while he played and sang. At first I panicked, fearing that I had somehow missed the show, but then I realized that he was just doing a little pre-show before the big event, and that he wasn't nervous at all. Did I mention how much I am learning all the time from these kids!?


Here is a video of him playing 'This Little Light of Mine' and another playing 'The Muskrat song'. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

5 comments:

RP said...

That is so awesome! I wish we were closer to hear your music first hand!

Jocelin said...

Oh my gosh! Gabe blew me away. That is so cute. I love the beat-keepin' feet.

Wendy said...

I sure love Gabe! He is a gem!

Lori said...

Wowee, lovin' that guitar playing, Gabe!

B and BO said...

AMAZING!!! :D