In case you missed the memo, basketball is kind of a big deal here in North Carolina. Being new to the area, I am always a little to late in hearing about sign ups and such, but this time I got lucky: the Greenway Baptist Church announced Pee-Wee basketball sign ups by posting a big banner on their front lawn. Hallelujah indeed. I was so grateful that I went right in and signed up both Sage and Gabe.
Like most pee-wee leagues, the coaches are volunteer and, in our case specifically, members of the Greenway Baptist Church. I don't know if I have ever met nicer people in my life. The teams were divided by gender and grade with 1st and 2nd playing together and 3rd and 4th playing together. Since my kids are born in August, that makes them the absolute youngest age they could be and still be on their particular team. In addition to their youth, both Sage and Gabe were born in Idaho, a state that has NO professional or high ranked basketball teams whatsoever---in short, we are missing the basketball gene that they would have inherited had they been born in NC. (Do I need to mention their mother's lack of athletic prowess?)
With all of these strikes against them, I will just say that we were all SHOCKED when Gabe made a basket in his first game. Clearly these people are miracle workers. I wonder if they have a league for middle aged mommies.
Over the course of the next few months, we spent a couple of nights a week sitting with other parents in a crowded gym cheering our kids on. On Friday nights when we didn't have games, we would go to the student rec center so that they could practice making baskets. It was such a great atmosphere, and even though they kept score, there was not an overly competitive feeling.
Even with the season being over many weeks ago, Gabe still practices baskets every day on his nerf hoop and he always wants to go somewhere where we can practice on a bigger hoop. When we go to the library, he plays the basketball game that they have there on the computer. I guess you could say he caught the fever. But get ready: Tee ball starts tomorrow.
Like most pee-wee leagues, the coaches are volunteer and, in our case specifically, members of the Greenway Baptist Church. I don't know if I have ever met nicer people in my life. The teams were divided by gender and grade with 1st and 2nd playing together and 3rd and 4th playing together. Since my kids are born in August, that makes them the absolute youngest age they could be and still be on their particular team. In addition to their youth, both Sage and Gabe were born in Idaho, a state that has NO professional or high ranked basketball teams whatsoever---in short, we are missing the basketball gene that they would have inherited had they been born in NC. (Do I need to mention their mother's lack of athletic prowess?)
With all of these strikes against them, I will just say that we were all SHOCKED when Gabe made a basket in his first game. Clearly these people are miracle workers. I wonder if they have a league for middle aged mommies.
Over the course of the next few months, we spent a couple of nights a week sitting with other parents in a crowded gym cheering our kids on. On Friday nights when we didn't have games, we would go to the student rec center so that they could practice making baskets. It was such a great atmosphere, and even though they kept score, there was not an overly competitive feeling.
Even with the season being over many weeks ago, Gabe still practices baskets every day on his nerf hoop and he always wants to go somewhere where we can practice on a bigger hoop. When we go to the library, he plays the basketball game that they have there on the computer. I guess you could say he caught the fever. But get ready: Tee ball starts tomorrow.
Gabe goes for the shot
Sage shoots and scores!
Will he or Won't He?
2 comments:
Our boys are totally enjoying Little League right now. Good luck with the T-ball!
Oh, basketball! How fun! I'm glad you're able to find such great programs for your kids!
Post a Comment