Sage's Talent Show


At about the same time Benji was sitting on a beach in Florida, enjoying the sand and surf, I found myself perched on a crowded bench in a school gym watching Sage's school talent show. It goes without saying that having a talent show for kids not even old enough to attend the fourth grade is a questionable undertaking. Questionable, because who really wants to sit through ten renditions of every Taylor Swift song recorded, all of the Suzuki repertoire, and many painfully lip synced performances of Hannah Montana wannabes?
Me. That's who.
I love it! I know it is so geeky, but these talent shows are a great chance for kids to beat the fear and try something new.
Some of the performances are uncomfortably out of tune. Some are clumsy. Some are clunky. But some are good. Some are fantastic. And in the middle of them all is my girl Sage, doing what she loves; she plays the piano and she takes a bow.
She's been doing it for a few years now, and I am so proud. I'm not saying that she is a fantastic pianist, although I think she is great. More importantly she has found something she loves to do and has practiced to get better.

I learn so much from my kids every day. I am so lucky to be the mom. And I would not have traded places with Benji for all the sand and surf Florida could offer.




3 comments:

Lori said...

Way to go Sage! That was awesome. I wish I could have been there. I sure miss you guys!

mrsfor77 said...

i truly enjoyed that talent show, too! i love seeing kids with the confidence to get out there and have fun in front of the WHOLE SCHOOL!!! i can't imagine how nerve-racking it must have been for them. and sage was fantastic!!
*amy*

B and BO said...

Awesome job, Sage! I know this was a long time ago, but I hope you remember it for a long time. Even the bow was great! Such feeling! Such emotion and joy at finishing well! =D
Both videos were neat to watch; thanks!