
I think my fish is on the way out. He is a little over a year old now and is starting to lose some of his luster and I recognize that any morning I could wake up to find my dear friend departed, belly up. Now, I am fully cognizant of the fact that he is just a fish; he's not a dog, a cat, or other pet that could curl up on my lap, go for a walk, or provide a cozy kind of companionship. That being said, I'm kind of sad to see him go. He's been my special little buddy that I honestly didn't think would last a day. He has definitely exceeded all of my expectations.
As I may have mentioned, Benji and I are not huge pet people. We admit that we have enough to deal with attempting to raise our three children. (Wild animals that they are.) Being children, last year they begged, pleaded, cajoled, and whined until I acquiesced and we wound up in Petco on Valentine's Day, staring at the various tanks, picking out a fish. Benji bet me $10 that the little guy wouldn't last a week. (I'm sure he thought it was easy money at the time.) We named him Flounder and he became a silent part of our family. (His silence is his greatest strength!)
Now it has been a year and I think little Flounder might be, well, floundering. He made the move with our family to Boone, cradled on my lap in a gladware container. While almost everything has changed for our family: new schools, new surroundings, new friends, it has been a comfort to look in his bowl and see him consistently swimming around.
I will miss him.
Floundering
Posted by Unknown at 10:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You have done and said many things over the years that have impressed me but this entry may be the most amazing thing I've learned about you. A whole year? I am completely shocked and awed. Similar to your story, we got fish for our pleading children and I found myself dashing off to Walmart at 3am repeatedly attempting to prevent the children from waking to discover we had killed yet another. I think we ended up going through twelve fish in one month. It was exhausting for me as I tried to keep up the facade. In the end, I gave up the lie and despite our best efforts, the remaining five died, one at a time. My only attempt at shielding my innocent children by this point was to disallow them from watching me flush the fishies down the toilet. A whole year. Flounder is a special fish.
Cute entry.
Post a Comment