Blizzard of 2010





We, along with many of our neighbors in the northeast, have been snowed in for the past few days during the snow event of February 2010. As you can see from the pictures, we have had snow up to the windows with blustery winds, and extremely low temperatures.


This storm has come at the most opportune moment as it allows us to take some time out from our school, work, and house cleaning schedules, (those who know me well can feel free to chuckle here), to gear up and prepare for the winter Olympics. With all of the skating, skiing, and sledding, I think I like watching the Olympics in winter more than I do in the summer. It is in this spirit that Benji constructed the Souza luge II in the front yard.

We really enjoyed the Souza luge I over Christmas break, but during some freezing rain and warmer temperatures in January, that great track went the way of all good snowmen--to slush. Now we have our new track, and it really is something to experience. When I went on it my kids said that everyone within two miles could have heard me screaming. (I'm not sure if you can see the drop on the video, but it is a doosy.) Benji has done a great job adding dips and swerving around Ruby, our car. Even as I type this I can hear the kids screaming outside as they sled down the track.

Sometimes I get the winter blues and I can't wait for spring to come, but when we have days like today, when we are all home together, I am so grateful for the moment that we have to be as we are and enjoy it.

3 comments:

RP said...

That's awesome! I'm surprised you don't have the whole neighborhood trying it out! You are my inspiration. Now if only we could find some hills...

Unknown said...

I can't think of better people to be snowed in with but my hubby and kids. I understand the winter blues but it sounds like you all have great fun together in the harshest conditions. I use to think we got snow here but nothing like what you are dealing with. Love you. Tara

Jocelin said...

What fun. I hear you on the winter blues. I'm dying for some spring temperatures.